Monday, August 3, 2009

Singapore Flyer Draft 2

DRAFT 2 - The Flight Experience

I was excited to go on the Singapore flyer as it was my first time. A few days before I went onto the flyer, I did some reading and research about it. Each of the 28 air-conditioned capsules is capable of holding 28 passengers, and a complete rotation of the wheel takes approximately 30 minutes. Less than a year ago the flyer had stopped half-way, leaving 70 passengers stranded in the capsules. I was afraid that the flyer might stop a second time but I had hoped that the ride would be exciting.

When I reached, I was filled with excitement and anxiety, as if there were butterflies in my stomach. At the entrance here were a lot of trees, like a small forest. I stared in wonderment at the magnificent structure and superb engineering feat when I saw it. The cacophony of the students’ chatter was all I could hear while we made our way to the platform to board the flyer. We got on the flyer but could not really feel it moving. When we were half-way to the highest point of the flyer, I could almost see the whole of Singapore. The view was spectacular. Some places I could see were the Marina Barage, the Esplanade, the Padang and the Merlion. At the highest point, I took pictures of some breath-taking views of Singapore.

On the flyer, I felt amazing to be able to see such wonderful sights of Singapore from a bird’s eye view. Although it was my first time, I would want to ride it again. My expectations were met. It was so exciting and spectacular that I did not realize time had passed so quickly.

During the ride on the flyer, one of my friends was afraid of heights. The moment she step foot into the capsule, she sat on the floor and clung onto one of the seats. For the whole ride she did not dare to move around. While everyone was busy taking pictures and enjoying the magnificent view from the capsule, she clung to the seat and did the worksheets that we were supposed to complete.

In the end, the trip was joyous and exhilarating. I would recommend others to go as I have never seen anything like this of Singapore until I went on the flyer. I feel that having this Singapore flyer will enable tourists to see the real Singapore.

Word count: 401









No comments: